Traditional music sessions since 1942
There have been traditional music sessions at Sandy Bell’s Pub since 1942. An extraordinary number of influential musicians of many styles and backgrounds have been regular players.
The pub is a legend and an institution – known internationally but with an absolutely local culture of real traditional music.
Sandy Bell’s is a local pub, a world-famous meeting place for musicians, and an institution. Surprisingly – behind the high windows were once shelves full of groceries: the property began life as a local shop.
By the 1920s the property was owned by a Mrs Bell and although already a bar, was known as The Forrest Hill Buffet. Over time, it became known as “Sandy’s”, or “Bell’s” – and finally “Sandy Bell’s” – although this would not be seen on the sign outside for over half a century. The name “Bell’s” came from Mrs Bell and her family. Accounts differ about “Sandy”: Some say he was a barman – and perhaps he was known for enthusiastic ringing of the bell for last orders.
WATCH AND LISTEN new music features